Facebook handles data breaches in internal emails

   An internal email of people inside Facebook, accidentally sent to Belgium-based Data News, reveals their strategy to deal with the shocking leak of account details from 533 million users in the world.It shows that the social network is expecting more such incidents and is planning to see it as an industry problem that is inherently too common.


   It also said that the media's attention will gradually decrease.
   Hence, it intends to make limited statements on this matter.
   Facebook confirmed the memo as authentic and told the BBC: "We understand everyone's concerns, which is why we continue to strengthen our systems to conduct Facebook searches. Without our permission it becomes more difficult and hunts down the guys behind it. "
   Later, a spokesperson added that LinkedIn and Clubhouse are also facing "crawling" issues.
   Data from 533 million people in 106 different countries around the world was published on a hacking forum in early April.
   Facebook says the data is outdated, from a previously reported leak in 2019. It has denied any misbehavior, saying the data was taken from information publicly available on the website.
   But it now faces an investigation from the Irish data commissioner as to whether it violated GDPR rules and a mass legal action from affected EU citizens who did leak a host of personal data, including phone numbers or not.
   The email published by Data News was dated April 8 - a few days after the story broke. It said press coverage on the matter from "top global publications" had dropped 30%.
   Reputation towards usersIt provides a summary of how the story has been reported so far.
"The publications have given more critical views on Facebook's response, seeing it as evasion, blame, and no apology towards affected users," it noted and added. . that these sections are often prompted by quoting from "data experts or regulators, concerns about criticizing a company's response are not enough".
   In a section titled "Long-term strategy," Facebook said it has no plans to make additional statements on the matter. "We expect more shave incidents more and believe it is important to take this as an industry-wide issue and normalize the fact that this activity occurs more frequently in the future," it said.
   It adds that their plans will include a blog post about anti-shaving work, providing transparency on how the company is addressing the issue.
   Data News also questioned Facebook's assertion that the issue was discovered and resolved in August 2019, suggesting that ethical hacker Inti De Ceukelaire warned the company two years ago that it could be found. see. phone number of someone via Facebook.
   Mr. De Ceukelaire told the BBC that the leaked memo "reveals what we have long ago doubted but is now black and white - Facebook is more concerned with its reputation than it is to notify users".
   Facebook is trying to "turn things around," he said.
   "At first they were completely silent about this incident, but then they told the press a sentence about how old the data was and when it didn't work, they started gossiping about exploiting the event. Facebook's own system. "
   He added that this data is not old, as phone numbers are often unchanged and the initial security settings for phone numbers are extremely confusing.